Skip to main content

I Will Rise Up, Says the Lord

This sermon was preached at the 2019 Easter Vigil Service held by All Saints and San Andres Church in Brooklyn. 

“Because the needy are oppressed, and the poor cry out in misery, I will rise up, says the Lord.”

This line happens to be from Psalm 12, but really, it could be from almost any book of Bible. The sentiment is woven throughout the Old and New Testaments because over and over again we hear God expressing a special love, a protective concern for the poor, the outcast, the refugee, the widow, the orphan -- the people, in other words, who have always been pushed to the edges of society. Now, I have to admit that I particularly love the King James Version of this line which reads, “For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now I will arise, saith the Lord; I will keep him in safety from him who puffeth at him.”

There’s a lot there, obviously, but it’s Easter so let me focus only on when God says “I will rise up.”

----

"Porque los indefensos están oprimidos, y los pobres claman en miseria, me levantaré, dice el Señor".

Esta línea está en Salmo 12, pero en realidad, podría ser en casi cualquier libro de la Biblia. El sentimiento existe en muchas partes de los Antiguo y Nuevo Testamentos porque una y otra vez escuchamos a Dios expresando un amor especial, una preocupación protectora por los pobres, los marginados, los refugiados, las viudas, los huérfanos; en otras palabras, la gente que siempre han sido empujados a los margines de la sociedad. Ahora, debo admitir que en particular amo la traducción King James de esta línea que dice: "Por la opresión de los pobres, por los suspiros de los indefensos, ahora me levantaré", dice el Señor; Lo mantendré a salvo de aquel que lo insulta.”


----

“‘I will rise up’ says the Lord.” But rise up from what?

One of the most moving aspects of the Easter Vigil service is that we begin in the darkness of the crucifixion and only gradually emerge from there. We also begin with stories -- troubling stories, if we’re honest -- stories that should tell us that whatever this salvation is, it’s not mystical and it’s not abstract. Because the stories are about the life and death and survival.

In one passage we heard of desperate people fleeing slavery, saved at the very last moment by a devastating act of God. In another, we hear of a son about to sacrificed by his own father, again saved at the very last moment. We also hear of Jesus - an innocent man - unjustly crucified, dead, and buried. Rising after three days, yes, but note -- Jesus rises with wounds still fresh, still on.

And through all these troubling stories and complex images, I hear that line again and again “Because the needy are oppressed, and the poor cry out in misery, I will rise up, says the Lord.”

For me, these texts call me back to something I believe with every fiber of my being -- which is, that if you are looking for God and where God is in the world today, then let’s take those stories seriously. We have to look at where people are desperately seeking to escape slavery today, at where people are being sacrificed on the altar of religious hatred today, we have to look at where people are being crushed by poverty and injustice today. Because these ancient stories tell us that that is where God is too, rising up.

---

“‘Me levantaré, dice el Señor.’" Pero levantarse de que?

Uno de los aspectos más conmovedores del servicio de la Vigilia Pascual es que comenzamos en la oscuridad de la crucifixión y emergemos gradualmente de allí. También comenzamos con historias, historias inquietantes, si somos honestos, historias que insisten que esta salvación de Dios, no es mística ni abstracta. Tiene que ver con la vida y la muerte hasta cuestiones de supervivencia.

En un pasaje oímos hablar de personas desesperadas que huyen de la esclavitud, salvadas en el último momento por un acto devastador de Dios. En otro, escuchamos acerca de un hijo a punto de ser sacrificado por su propio padre, nuevamente salvado en el último momento. También escuchamos de Jesús, un hombre inocente, injustamente crucificado, muerto y enterrado. Por supuesto, sabemos que Jesús se levanta después de tres días, pero siempre debemos acordarnos que Jesús resucita con las heridas frescas.

Y a través de todas estas historias inquietantes e imágenes complejas, escucho esa línea otra y otra vez... "Porque los indefensos están oprimidos, y los pobres gritan en la miseria, me levantaré, dice el Señor".

Para mí, estos textos me recuerdan algo que creo con cada fibra de mi ser, que es que si estás buscando a Dios y dónde está Dios en el mundo hoy, debemos tomar esas historias en serio. Debemos mirar dónde la gente está buscando desesperadamente escapar de la esclavitud hoy, donde la gente está siendo sacrificada en el altar del odio religioso hoy, tenemos que mirar dónde la gente está siendo oprimidos por la pobreza y la injusticia hoy. Porque estas historias antiguas nos dicen que ahí es donde también está Dios, levantándose.


----

A short story. Like many people today, I was not raised in a religious household, but God rose up for me at a critical time in my life. I was fourteen; my grandfather, who I adored, was dying of skin cancer; and like many teenagers I was taking it all in, and was trying to understand why things are the way they are.

My grandfather, Eusebio Castilleja, was from Mexico. He came the United States in 1950s and he and my grandmother and my mother and her siblings were all migrant farmworkers. And it was a hard life. Decades later, when I was a child, I remember going to many, many funerals -- very often of family members who had died of cancer. And I remember my aunts and uncles telling stories of how when they were out in the fields, crop dusters would fly overhead and would drop pesticides directly on their skin. And I remember how this made me see clearly something cold and dark and evil about the world, something that had to do with power, and powerlessness, and the way in which our world crucifies whole groups of people.

All of this hit really home for me when my grandfather began dying of skin cancer. I remember the last time I saw him was in a darkened room, with a single candle burning. Now to the world, he was nothing. Just another immigrant Mexican. But to me - and as I would discover, to the Church - he was a person with dignity.

My conversion happened on the day when I saw a priest show up and treat my grandfather with dignity. My conversion was deepened when I noticed it was my aunts who were grounded in faith who had the backbone to care for him in his last days. My faith was reaffirmed when I realized that even his medical care came from a Catholic hospital. And so when he died, somewhere in the midst of that sadness and grief I heard something like God saying “Because the needy are oppressed, and the poor cry out in misery, I will rise up.”

----

Una historia corta. Como muchas personas hoy, no me criaron en una casa religiosa, pero Dios se levantó en un momento crítico de mi vida. Cuando tenía catorce años mi abuelo, a quien yo adoraba, estaba muriendo de cáncer de piel. Y como muchos adolescentes, estaba observando todo, tratando de entender por qué las cosas son como son.

Mi abuelo, Eusebio Castilleja, era de México. Vino a los Estados Unidos en la década de 1950 y él, mi abuela, mi madre y sus hermanos eran todos trabajadores agrícolas migrantes. Y fue una vida dura. Décadas más tarde, cuando era niño, recuerdo yendo a muchos, muchos funerales, muy a menudo de familiares que habían muerto de cáncer. Y recuerdo que mis tías y mis tíos contaban historias de cómo, cuando estaban en el campo, los fumigadores volaban por encima y dejaban caer pesticidas directamente sobre su piel. Y recuerdo cómo esto me hizo ver claramente algo frío, oscuro y maligno sobre el mundo, algo que tenía que ver con el poder y la falta de poder, y la pobreza, y la forma en que nuestro mundo crucifica a grupos enteros de personas.

Todo esto me impactó fuertemente cuando mi abuelo comenzó a morir de cáncer de piel. Recuerdo que la última vez que lo vi fue en una habitación oscura, con una sola vela encendida. Ahora al mundo, él no era nadie. Otro inmigrante mexicano. Pero para mí, y como descubriría, para la Iglesia, él era una persona digna.

Mi conversión ocurrió el día en que vi a un sacerdote presentarse y tratar a mi abuelo con dignidad. Mi conversión se profundizó cuando noté que eran mis tías que tenían fe quienes tuvieron la fortaleza para cuidarlo en sus últimos días. Mi fe se reafirmó cuando me di cuenta de que incluso su cuidado médica provenía de un hospital católico. Y así, cuando murió, entre la tristeza y pena, comencé escuchar a Dios diciendo: "Porque los indefensos están oprimidos y los pobres gritan en la miseria, me levantaré".


----

“‘I will rise up’ says the Lord.” This is the promise that our ancient stories and deepest wells of wisdom tell us over and over again. And in Jesus, we celebrate the way that God rose up even after a shameful death and is rising still today.

A final point: There are a lot of different images of Easter Jesus out there. There’s Jesus the Victorious, Jesus the Joyful, there’s even Jesus in Disguise. But oftentimes there’s a detail that gets forgotten in these more triumphant versions of Easter Jesus, which is that Jesus appears with wounds still on. It’s true. Not tomorrow but next Sunday Christians will hear the story of a doubting Thomas - which is nothing less than the story of the risen Jesus showing his disciples his fresh wounds.

When I think about how God is calling us to join in the risen life, to join him in bringing a measure of dignity and care for the oppressed and the poor in our world, I think about how Jesus shows up with his wounds still on. It tells me that this love work, this justice work, this Gospel work has to come from deeper within us; we have to move from abstraction to include the heart, the gut, and all the painful parts we may not even now be able to give voice to, that’s how deep it must go. For it is in times like these when we are talking about life and death and survival that God is rising up, is risen, and the question that remains is how we will bring all of ourselves to that work.

----

"’Me levantaré’ dice el Señor.”Esta es la promesa que nuestras antiguas historias y los más profundos fuentes de sabiduría nos dicen una y otra vez. Y en Jesús, celebramos la forma en que Dios se levantó incluso después de una muerte vergonzosa.

Un punto final: Hay muchas imágenes diferentes de Jesús Resucitado. Está Jesús el Victorioso, Jesús el Alegre, incluso hay Jesús disfrazado. Pero a menudo hay un detalle que se olvida en estas imágenes triunfantes de Jesús resucitado, que es que Jesús aparece con las heridas aún frescas. Es verdad. No mañana, sino el próximo domingo, los cristianos escucharán la historia de Tomás quien duda, que es nada menos que una historia del Jesús resucitado mostrando a sus discípulos sus heridas frescas.

Cuando pienso en cómo Dios nos está llamando a unirnos a la vida resucitada, a unirnos a él para traer una medida de dignidad y cuidado por los oprimidos y los pobres de nuestro mundo, pienso en cómo Jesús aparece con sus heridas ya frescas. Me dice que esta obra de amor, esta obra de justicia, esta obra del Evangelio tiene que venir desde lo más profundo de nosotros; tenemos que pasar de la abstracción al corazón, a incluir todas las partes dolorosas a las que quizás ni siquiera podamos dar voz. Porque es en momentos como estos, cuando estamos hablando de la vida, la muerte y la supervivencia, que Dios se está levantando y la pregunta que queda es cómo nos llevaremos todos nosotros a ese trabajo.


“Because the needy are oppressed, and the poor cry out in misery, I will rise up, says the Lord.” May be it be so. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pride Sunday at St. Mary's West Harlem

This sermon was preached at St. Mary's in West Harlem on June 25, 2023.  Good morning, St. Mary’s. Thank you for this invitation. It is truly an honor to be back here in this holy sanctuary and especially to be back on Pride Sunday. St. Mary’s holds a special place in my heart as it is the parish through which I joined The Episcopal Church back in 2005 and I carry a lot with me from this place. Or at least I thought I did. Coming here this morning, I realized that I’ve been misremembering St. Mary’s mission statement for some time now. Whereas St. Mary’s mission statement is the “be not afraid” church, at some point over the past twenty years I refashioned it in my mind into the “We are not afraid church.” A small but crucial difference. Either way, what I’ve always liked about St. Mary’s mission is that it has never claimed to be the “I am not afraid” church. If you know me, you know that I could never actually live into such a mission statement. I listen to way too much news and

Jesus Cleanses the Temple

The following post is a draft chapter of a larger project focusing on all the times money is referenced in the events surrounding Jesus' arrest, crucifixion, death and resurrection. From Jesus' driving out the money changers from the Temple, to Judas' betrayal, and even the way the resurrection is later understood as a release from debt, money - and economic metaphors - are interwoven throughout the Gospel accounts of these cataclysmic events. My hope is to re-read the passion and resurrection as "a money story." The last week of Jesus’ life began with fanfare and songs of praise.  At the small, Spanish-speaking Episcopal church I attend in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, Palm Sunday typically looks a bit like this : on that morning, a group of parishioners gather on the front steps of the church to hear the story of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem. We have to strain our ears to understand the Gospel readers over the traffic sounds of 4th avenue Brooklyn. Fr. Francis

A Conversation on Koinonia in the Diocese of Northern Michigan

I recently had a chance to speak with Bishop Rayford Ray and Canon Lydia Bucklin about the model of economic fellowship that has taken root in the Diocese of Northern Michigan. This ended up being one of the most radical (and intriguing) conversations I've had about money in the church in a long while. Take a listen and let me know what you think.